Important Camp Ignite FAQ
How much does the retreat cost?
The cost for attending is included in your BIO 189 course fee and provides for transportation, meals, lodging, activities and an Ignite t-shirt, water bottle, flashlight and drawstring bag.
Will we be sleeping in tents?
No. We will be staying in cabins.
Can I move into my campus housing assignment early?
Yes. ASU housing is willing to work with you if you need to move in early. Email Logan Franklin and inform him of your plans. Then follow the six early move-in steps below.
Early move-in deadline is June 30
Early move-in is available for out-of-state students on the day prior to your camp — Aug. 6 for the Aug. 7-9 retreat and Aug. 8 for the Aug. 9-11 retreat. To receive this accommodation, you must complete the following by June 30.
- Go to the housing portal (same as your housing application)
- Click on housing application
- Click on Early Arrival Request from the Academic Term Page and then Start Application
- Follow the step-by-step directions
- You will be prompted to enter an “Expected Arrival Date.” Add your arrival date in that space (the day before your retreat). If you desire an earlier date, you may request it, but it may or may not be approved.
- There will be a space for Early Arrival Decision. Check this space often to see the status of your early move-in request.
Am I required to participate in Camp Ignite?
Yes. The retreat is part of the BIO 189 freshmen seminar.
Where is the retreat?
Camp Shadow Pines in Heber, Arizona.
How do I sign up?
You will sign up during the Freshmen Orientation Program, which is part of the School of Life Sciences registration process.
What will happen at camp?
On our first day, our first meal together will be dinner at camp. That evening, we will have team-building activities and a campfire.
Day two is our main day for fun. Science-based activities, team challenges, a mock classroom experience, and an evening program developed by upper-class mentors are on the agenda.
After breakfast on day three, we’ll head home.
What should I bring to camp?
The climate is cooler at Camp Shadow Pines. Temperatures range from 50 degrees at night to 90 degrees in the afternoon.
What to pack:
- Any prescribed medications
- Enough clothes for three days (remember weather changes and outdoor activities)
- Shoes and socks for outdoor activities
- Toiletries and towels (soap, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, sunscreen etc.)
- Sleeping bag and pillow
- Rain apparel (depending on weather)
- Vending machine money
- A great attitude!
Checking-in for Camp Ignite
Check-in begins on your camp date at 8 a.m. sharp. The busses leave promptly at 9 a.m. We will not turn around once we start our journey, so please be on time. We will meet in Lot 59 near the football stadium. You will check-in with our volunteers and then board the busses.
Can my family/friends go to camp with me?
Ignite is for incoming School of Life Sciences students only.
Can I arrive late or leave early?
All participants must travel together by bus to and from camp. While emergencies can happen, students are required attend the entire camp.
Can I request a specific cabin mate?
We cannot honor requests for specific sleeping arrangements due to a large number of students attending camp.
What if I am under the age of 18?
If you are under 18, have your parent/guardian print and send in the Terms and Conditions and Liability documents. Bring the completed forms with you for check-in. You will not be allowed on the bus without the completed forms.