Phone: (480) 225-9412
Office: BDA 330E
Education: PhD, 1970, Purdue University, Lafayette, Indiana
Curriculum Vitae: arntzen_c_cv.pdf
Faculty Group: Biomedicine & Biotechnology
Charles Arntzen studies plant-derived pharmaceuticals and vaccines in collaboration with faculty, government researchers, and industrial product development groups. He has used both transgenic and viral vector approaches to move genes into plant cells. His initial efforts focused on traits that improved crop production, which led him toward manufacturing protein pharmaceuticals in plant leaves. He and his collaborators pioneered subunit vaccine production and formulation.
Currently, Arntzen uses his experience in plant biotechnology in order to advise the National Academy of Sciences, other government agencies, and corporate entities on the strategic useof new technology in agriculture and human health programs. Though he isn't expanding his research team at ASU, he continues to grow his industrial and government collaborations and to support multi-disciplinary academic research teams.
- Herbst-Kralovetz MM, Radtke AL, Lay MK, Hjelm BE, Bolick AN, Sarker SS,Atmar RL, Kingsley DH, Arntzen CJ, Estes MK, Nickerson CA. Lack of norovirus replication and histo-blood group antigen expression in 3-dimensional intestinal epithelial cells. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013 Mar;19(3):431-8.doi: 10.3201/eid1903.121029.
- Velasquez LS, Shira S, Berta AN, Kilbourne J, Medi BM, Tizard I, Ni Y, Arntzen CJ, Herbst-Kralovetz MM (2011) Intranasal delivery of Norwalk virus-like particles formulated in an in situ gelling, dry powder vaccine. Vaccine 29: 32,5221-31
- Phoolcharoen W, Dye JM, Kilbourne J, Piensook K, Pratt WD, Arntzen CJ, ChenQ, Mason HS, Herbst-Kralovetz MM. (2011) A non-replicating subunit vaccine protects mice against lethal Ebola virus challenge. ProcNatlAcadSci U SA. 2011 Dec 20;108(51):20695-700. Epub 2011 Dec 5. PMID:22143779
- Huang Z, Phoolcharoen W, Lai H, Piensook K, Cardineau G, Zeitlin L, Whaley KJ, Arntzen CJ, Mason HS, Chen Q (2010) High-level rapid production of full-size monoclonal antibodies in plants by a single-vector DNA replicon system.,Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 106 (1), 9-17
- Santi L, Batchelor L, Huang Z, Hjelm B, Kilbourne J, Arntzen CJ, Chen Q,Mason HS (2008) An efficient plant viral expression system generating orally immunogenic Norwalk virus-like particles., Vaccine, 26 (15), 1846-54