Supriya is a postdoctoral research associate in the Biology Education Research lab with Dr. Sara Brownell and Dr. Christian Wright on bias in instructor exams. More generally, she is interested in understanding the causes for under-representation of women and minorities in STEM and finding ways to make scientific research community more diverse and inclusive.
2019 PhD, Evolutionary Biology - University of Chicago
- Dissertation title: Effect of ants on bird species diversity pattern along an elevational gradient in the eastern Himalaya.
2011 M.Sc. Wildlife Science, Wildlife Institute of India
- Thesis title: Behavioral ecology of colony formation and function of colonial breeding in Chestnut-headed bee-eater.
2009 B.Sc (H) Zoology, Hindu College, Delhi University
Broadly, I am interested in understanding the causes for under-representation of women and minorities in STEM and finding ways to make scientific research community more diverse and inclusive. More specifically, I am interested in studying how teaching practices at the undergraduate level contribute to the problem of under-representation and how we need to modify our teaching practices.
Prior to my postdoc, I did research in the field of ecology and evolution, mostly on birds and ants.
Supriya, K., Moreau, C., Sam, K., Price, T. 2019 Global analysis of elevational gradients in arthropod abundance. Frontiers of biogeography. 11(2), e43104
Schumm, M., Edie, S.M., Collins, K.S., Gómez-Bahamón, V., Supriya, K., White, A.E., Price, T.D. and Jablonski, D., 2019. Common latitudinal gradients in functional richness and functional evenness across marine and terrestrial systems. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 286(1908), p.20190745.
Supriya, K., Rowe, M., Price, T. Trade-offs between pre-copulatory and post-copulatory investment generate positive correlations across species. Behavioral Ecology. 30(2), 341-347
Supriya, K., Price, T. D., & Rowe, M. 2018 Positive correlations between pre‐and post‐copulatory sexual traits in warblers. Journal of Avian Biology. 49(5), jav-01694
Supriya, K., Rowe, M., Laskemoen, T., Mohan, D., Price, T., Lifjeld, J. 2016 Early diversification of sperm size in the evolutionary history of the Old World leaf warblers (Phylloscopidae). Journal of Evolutionary Biology. 29(4), 777-8
Tomašových, A., Kennedy, J.D., Betzner, T.J., Kuehnle, N.B., Edie, S., Kim, S., Supriya, K., White, A.E., Rahbek, C., Huang, S. and Price, T.D. 2016. Unifying latitudinal gradients in range size and richness across marine and terrestrial systems. Proc. R. Soc. B 283(1830) 20153027
Supriya, K., Mohan, D., Vasudevan, K. 2012. Availability of nesting habitat may not drive colony formation in Chestnut-headed bee-eaters Merops leschenaulti in Southern India. Journal of Bombay Natural History Society 109(1&2), 30-36.
Saha,P., Balasubramaniam,K.N., Kalyani, J.N., Supriya, K., Padmanabhan, A. & Gadagkar, R. 2012. Clinging to royalty: Ropalidia marginata queens can employ both pheromone and aggression. Insectes sociaux 59(1), 41-44.
Vasudevan, K. & Supriya, K. 2011. Utilization of wild caught animals in education: a case of rampant vivisections in India. Current Science 100(6), 818-821.
Fellow, Chicago Center for Teaching 2018-19
- I participated in training sessions to learn about current theories and debates in teaching and learning.
- I conducted pedagogy workshops for other graduate students in biological sciences division and developed resources related to inclusive teaching.
Co-facilitator, Inclusive teaching in STEM workshop, University of Chicago 2018
- I developed and co-facilitated a workshop on inclusive teaching with another graduate student for about 30 graduate and post-doc instructors at the university.
Teaching assistantship, Environmental Ecology 2016
- Led weekly discussion sections that incorporated many active learning methods
- Conducted mid-term and annual review sessions, held office hours and graded exams
Teaching assistantship, Public and Private lives of Insects 2014
- Planned and gave two interactive lectures using many active learning tools
- Held office hours, wrote quiz questions and graded exams
Second place in Student talk competition, Entomology, Vancouver 2018
Best student talk, India Biogeography Society meeting, Bengaluru 2017
Best talk, Annual Research Symposium, Wildlife Institute of India, Dehradun 2012
Peer-reviewer, Evolution & Journal of Animal Ecology 2018
Peer-reviewer, Frontiers of Zoology 2015